SHAOLIN Jiou jie bian
Nine link steel chain whip
This is an advanced traditional weapons form.
The chain whip is swung with the right hand, on one of two sides:
The right: chain is swung in a counterclockwise direction as you face it, with the right hand
The left: chain is swung in a clockwise direction as you face it, with the right hand.
From the right side, to change to the left, the opposite direction:
Upper right arm: the chain in its upward swing catches the brought out upper right arm, as you then turn to the opposite side.
Left bent arm: the chain in its downward swing catches the brought out bent left arm, as you then turn to the opposite side. The left hand must touch the chest so that the chain does not get caught.
Right underarm: the chain in its upward swing catches the upper right arm into the armpit, which then causes it to circle over the arm, over the back of the neck, which with a fling of the shoulder as you turn around causes it to again continue.
Neck: the chain in its downward swing catches the back of the neck (as you bend upper body forward and over), one can step around with either leg in either direction to opposite side as chain swings around and under neck.
Leg: the chain in its downward swing catches the top of the knee of the outstretched right leg, as you swing around in a counterclockwise direction to opposite side; the leg swings as a crescent kick, all the way around until chain takes new direction; leg is replaced to horse again.
Hand: the chain in its downward swing catches the hand as you turn counterclockwise to opposite direction.
From the left side, the opposite, to change to the right side, the normal direction:
Right upper arm: as the chain swings in its clockwise direction, on its downward swing the chain is caught by the outstretched bent upper right arm; with the aid of the left hand as you turn to normal direction it is redirected in normal counterclockwise direction.
Right shoulder: as the chain swings on its downward swing, the right shoulder is pushed forward into the path, catches the chain, and with a lift of the shoulder as you turn to normal direction it is redirected.
Back of neck: the chain, in its downward direction, catches the top of the shoulder/back of neck as above.
Circular moves, where the body is turned around counterclockwise 360 degrees:
From normal to opposite; the chain is caught with any of the normal turning maneuvers, then, in opposite direction, before chain does more than one revolution, it is caught by back of neck, and returned to normal position.
Jiou jie bian form.
The chain whip is held in right hand, fourth and fifth fingers hold the handle, second and third fingers hold the folded chain.
· Feet together, hands at sides
· Bring right hand to dantian point, left knife hand to chest, bow, “o mi tofu”.
· Both hands rest at sides
· Bring to sharp feet together horse as you look sharply left
· Left arm outstretches horizontal, palm down, fingers forward, then fingers to side
· Right fist directly to left lower at 45 degrees, left palm comes up towards right armpit
· Combination of arms then rotates up, to right arm straight up, left knife hand at armpit
· Look right, as you raise right foot and stomp down again in right half moon, as you drop right fist to right side and raise left knife hand up high
· Shift weight to right foot, left and bend left leg, foot pointing down at right knee, right arm straight up, left knife hand again at right armpit, look to the left.
· Small run, do a forward roll over left shoulder, land on feet.
· Jump off of right foot, raise left knee high, left arm over head, right arm then throws out chain towards direction that you came from, land in horse facing 12, swing chain in normal direction.
· Catch chain with upper arm, chain to opposite, without moving feet or body,
· Catch chain with upper arm, and hand, chain to normal,
· Repeat for total of five times
· At fifth time, when you change to normal, also turn body to normal (6 o’clock).
· Catch chain with bent left arm, turn counterclockwise 360 to opposite and then normal again using back of neck circular movement, do this for a total of two times.
· Catch chain with upper arm, turn to opposite (12 o’clock), catch chain with back of neck and now turn counterclockwise 360 degrees, end in opposite (12 o’clock) direction.
· Catch chain with right upper arm, turn clockwise to normal (6 o’clock) direction.
· Catch chain with left hand, turn 360 degrees counterclockwise using back of neck circular movement.
· Step to left, stomp with right, end in right squat with left leg outstretched, pu-bu,as chain catches right underarm, circles over head, lands on back of neck, catch with left forearm hand combination, right hand holds whip at right underarm, left hand holds end of chain outstretched, look left. End part one.
· Left hand throws chain up over head as you stand up into mah-bu; start clockwise rotation of chain.
· Catch with right upper arm, turn to normal.
· Catch with neck, turn to opposite.
· Catch with back of arm, turn to normal.
· Catch with right underarm, turn to opposite.
· Catch with right upper arm, turn to normal.
· Catch with left leg, continue counterclockwise as you return to normal by catching chain with neck.
· Repeat the catch with left leg again.
· In normal position, catch with right underarm/neck, turn to opposite.
· Catch with right upper arm, turn to normal and continue on in clockwise direction as you swing the chain above your head once, on the second rotation let it drift down and catch with right underarm; the chain should then drape over the back of your neck and catch it with your right hand as you complete the rotation, ending up facing the direction of “normal”, in a pu bu stance, left leg outstretched, right leg in crouch, chain under right armpit and around neck and chest, held by right hand, left knife hand outstretched to left and in front of you. End of part two.
· Slip left knife hand under end of chain, grab, and with a leftward twist of upper body, swing chain around body, and then up over head, swinging in a counterclockwise direction.
· Walk forward, and perform four forward rolls while swinging chain.
· Move swinging chain from above your head to the floor, swinging chain with right hand, left hand on top of it, from between legs, alternating steps over chain with feet as needed.
· Move from standing to sitting position by squatting down on right leg first, left leg straight out, end up sitting on floor, swinging chain above head.
· Lay down, keep swinging chain
· Swing chain below supine body, first in one direction, and then the next.
· Sit up, keep swinging chain, above head.
· Get up with left hand, both feet out making a big circle with body, swinging chain above head.
· Walk around in one circle; when complete, stand up, swinging chain about head.
· Walk and twist to left in one revolution as you slow chain down and let it wrap around body.
· Twist back, let chain unravel, start it revolving about body, let it wrap under left arm and catch with right hand under right armpit. Left hand palm strike out to left, in gong bu on bent right leg.
· Step together, with left handed bow, holding chain with right, right leg up with foot at left knee, bow.